Very lean, low fat cut, which can be dry if over cooked.
Which makes it important to use an instant read thermometer, to ensure proper doneness; cooked rare, to internal temperature of 120 degrees. Leave 5 degrees for when roast is resting out of the oven.
Remember, you can always cook the meat more, you cannot cook the meat less!
3 to 4 lb. Grass Fed Eye Round Roast
1. An hour before cooking, remove the roast from the refrigerator to bring to room temperature, salt and rub olive oil on the roast.
2. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Heat a heavy bottomed roasting pan or cast iron skillet. Once the pan is hot, sear the roast on all sides in olive oil, 1½-2 minutes per side for about 6-8 minutes total; until the sides are nice and brown.
3. Carefully remove the roast, set a wire rack in center of the roasting pan and place roast fat side up on the rack.
4. Transfer your roasting pan to the oven and cook uncovered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast registers about 110 degrees for rare. Check the temperature after 45 minutes. 2 lb. (roast could be ready in 45 minutes).
5. Remove the roast from oven and tent with foil. Let it rest at 5 to 10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute themselves evenly throughout the roast.
6. Carve the roast into thin slices against the grain.